Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Solitude, to the power of three.

The other day, someone very casually asked me, "So, you are in a family of how many people?". Instantaneously,I replied, "Three. Mom, Dad and me." And a moment later, I realised, I missed out Bro and so corrected myself almost immediately. The incident is not small enough to be ignored, it's only big enough to be pondered over.
At one time, we were a family of five, which reduced to four with the death of my very dear Grandma. But it's still supposed to be four of us right? Well, the problem here is, that ever since his Engineering days (When I was in grade 7), Bro has been living away from home because unfortunately, our parents are always posted somewhere else and his education/job happens elsewhere.
It's been years altogether now. He completed his engineering in Pune, while we all resided in Mumbai. He was recruited to HSBC, Pune immediately after his engineering. For good or for bad, he got the job in the city he loved so much; if only he loved Mumbai that much. Sigh! Then he began preparing for CAT for pursuing an MBA. Successful at getting admission in MDI, Gurgaon in his second attempt, he was off to the North for another couple of years. A few days back, he got convocated as he handsomely showed off the graduation robe, hat and a degree alongside. We were all elated! So, what after the MBA? Well, he got placed at Infosys, and is currently undergoing his two-month training in Hyderabad. Hyderabad is not his permanent location though. A ray of hope? well, NO because 'Infy', as everyone popularly calls Infosys, does not have a development centre in Mumbai. :( Which makes it another couple of years at least.
I am wondering when this sick roller coaster of a journey would end. Every time Bro is home, life seems so much better. My family, my world seems complete. The satisfaction of carrying one extra plate while laying the dinner table is immense. I long for him to be with us everyday, just like the three of us are together all the time.
Why did I suddenly come up with this note? Well, because last wekk, I was with Bro for about a week during his convocation in Gurgaon. I realised that time ssimply flies by when I am with him. Everything is so much nicer. I am kind of embarrassed to say this, but I do not essentially miss being around Mom and Dad or being at home when I am with Bro while the converse is almost invariably true.
I shall still positively wait for the day when my dream of having the jigsaw puzzle complete shall be realised. After all, 'Ummeed pe duniya kayam hai".

No comments:

Post a Comment